Senin, 28 Februari 2011

Brian Joo’s Sad Interracial Love Story

Brian Joo’s Sad Interracial Love Story

Brian Joo
29-year-old K-pop artist Brian Joo confessed on a South Korean tv show “Best Friend’s Note” that he once dated a black girl while attending school in the U.S. The relationship seemed to be blossoming, until he met the girl’s mother.
According to him, the mother of his girlfriend rudely asked him, “How will you be able to marry my daughter?“, afterwhich, dismissing him from their home. The next day, the girl broke off the relationship, saying “because of my mom, I don’t think we can see each other.” Sad story, eh? Its good to know that BW/AM relationships do exist, but sad to see them end this way.
Many of the articles I read on this particular story claimed that Brian was a victim of racism. Although I understand where they are coming from (in that the relationship was interracial, or shall I say “controversial” to begin with), that’s not quite how I see it. I think the mother was truly concerned about her daughter’s welfare/future, and would have asked the same questions to any young man who was interested in her. Still, I don’t know the mother, and she could very well be racist.
This is very interesting to me, because usually Asians are portrayed as being the racists, and not wanting their children to mix with other races, notably blacks. But I think it just goes to show that everyone, no matter their color, has to open their minds and hearts to the idea of interracial love.
 Quantcast

1 komentar: